Spiced toast, and other stories
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome)

+7
Aequus
Picasso
MozytheHealer
Zip
Elfie
Nayaby
Areada
11 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome) Empty Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome)

Post by Areada Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:11 pm

LEGEND OF KORRAAAAAAAAAA

APRIL 14

11 AM

If only there was a way we could all watch it at the same time...but I don't get Nick USA on my tv...

Shows I Like (ranging from sitcom to drama to animation, and in alphabetical order)

Azumanga Daioh
Being Human (UK)
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Doctor Who
Firefly
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
How I Met Your Mother
Mad Men
Monk
Once Upon A Time
Psych
SLAYERS
Slings and Arrows
Star Trek (original and Next Generation especially)
The Avengers
The IT Crowd
Wonder Woman

Admittedly, I also watch Legend of the Seeker when I'm in the mood for slow-mo action scenes and some cheesy adventure.

Last edited by Areada on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:24 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Omitted Firefly. It was scandalous. All fixed now, though. Also edited to add Slings and Arrows, the best show ever.)
Areada
Areada
Admin

https://spicedtoaststories.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome) Empty Re: Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome)

Post by Nayaby Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:49 pm

April 14th? They gave a release date!!!! cheers flower cheers flower

Let's see what shows I like... (in the order they appeared in my head)

Being Human (US)
Doctor Who
Torchwood
Once Upon a Time
The Big Bang Theory
Futurama
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys
Xena: Warrior Princess
Battlestar Galactica
Firefly
Merlin (BBC)

That's everything I can think of right now. There's got to be more though...

Hercules and Xena are perfect for when you want cheesy adventure and historical inaccuracy! Ares and Autolycus for the win!
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome) Empty Re: Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome)

Post by Areada Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:20 pm

You've got to have your cheesy adventure stories. You just have to. For me, it's Legend of the Seeker because it's ridiculous. It's actually based on some books, but I haven't read them because they're terribly violent and disgusting, apparently. The show, however, is hilariously dramatic and cheesy. Slow-mo fight scenes, and their hair and makeup NEVER gets messed up, even though they basically live in the forest, traveling. My favorite episode is this one where this terribly snarky and rather violent woman has to dress up as a princess to rescue this other character, only she has to be a princess trying to woo/be chosen by this king dude, and there are all these ridiculous rules about what she has to do-including only speaking in rhyme.

The. Rhymes. Are. Not. To. Be. Believed. I nearly died of laughter.

I totally forgot one of my all-time favorites! The Avengers! John Steed and Emma Peel (well he had other companions, like the Doctor, sorta, but she's the best), being awesome spy detective cool people. British and brilliant!
Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:44 pm

That's. So. Wierd.

I'm going to have to watch Legend of the Seeker. I just saw a brief clip on Youtube, looks cheesy and adventurey, yes. But more importantly, it's directed by Sam Raimi O_o The same Sam Raimi who directed most of Hercules and Xena. Epic coincidences!

I guess he has a thing for directing cheesy adventure shows!

I should add that I watched the first episode of The IT Crowd. It's quite humorous, but I wouldn't say it's up to par with The Big Bang Theory. Of course, BBT makes a lot of specific nerd references that crack me up.
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:15 pm

The IT crowd makes more technological references than pop culture ones. But there is definitely both.

What? How cool! Same director, eh? You should watch it. It will be amusing, if unable to take seriously some of the time.
Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Okay, so what is it with Rumplestiltskin's tight leather pants? Not that I'm complaining, but what has inspired his strangely unique fashion statement for someone as generally creepy as he is?

Once Upon a Time tonight, eh? The plot thickeneth...

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Elfie Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:44 am

My favourites (I watch others as well, but only during the commercials, so they don't count. And, I love TCM. Not a show, but the classic movie channel. Too many favourites there so won't list them. Also, there are a couple of reality shows I watch during the summer that I like, but also don't 'count'.) in some order:

Once Upon a Time (Rumple... I have no idea how to feel about him. That laugh of his annoys me!)
Merlin (love me some Arthur/Bradley James)
Days
GH
The Amazing Race
Doctor Who (Matt is meh, and Amy grates on my nerves now. I adore and miss David Tennent)
Downton Abbey

And.. that's all that's coming to me. Tonight's episode of OUaT was awesome. I'm glad Archie/Jimminy is back! The writer dude is intriguing. The preview for next week was kind of.... not my style (at least the music wasn't, and that turned me off) but we shall see. I got more interested when Alice in Wonderland was mentioned.
Elfie
Elfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:39 am

I was very interested in next week of OUaT (though a bit apprehensive at first), partly because I have just been waiting for some sort of event to shake up the plotline we have going now. You know, the one where you find out things about characters and people's lives get steadily worse and worse and it just doesn't seem to be coming to a resolution anytime soon.

I don't want them to pull the Big Reveal (I assume there is one..?) too soon, but a bone could be thrown with regards to it. So next week looks like we'll forget about this Kathyrn maybe-murder nonsense (we know the queen did it already) and have something DIFFERENT and FREAKY happen to shake everyone's faith in their world.

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:26 pm

That's a literary trope, isn't it? What's it called when the audience knows something that characters don't? It can be very fun to work with!

Spoiler:

And Jimminy is my favourite! It made my day to see him back! It's his voice. Raphael Sbarge just has the best voice. Same with Kevin Michael Richardson, who has nothing to do with OUaT, but I group him with Sbarge because they both do voices for various Star Wars media.

Edit: I just remembered! New episode of Being Human (US) tonight! Yayayayayayayay! I need to know what's happening after [The remainder of this message has been removed by the Spoiler Police. The original poster of the spoiler is being inhumanely tortured for violation of the International Anti-Spoiler Treaty. He'll probably live, but he'll wish he hadn't once we're through with him.]
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Elfie Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:29 pm

No, a literary trope is the usage of figurative language in literature, or a figure of speech in which words are used in a sense different from their literal meaning. [courtesy of wikipedia]. You're thinking of dramatic irony. Wink

Spoiler:

Areada - that's true. I love the show, but sometimes it seems like too many characters are brought in, and the other stories (ie, snow white and charming) don't seem to go anywhere. Thank goodness for shifting from the Kathryn thing. That's just yawn-worthy and too dragged out for me since it's so obvious and Henry knows too.

Speaking of Charming... I don't like him in the real world. He's so stupid and not 'charming' at all!
Elfie
Elfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:16 pm

Yeah, I am of the firm conviction that fairy tale charming and real world snow white need to hook up. They seem to be the nicest versions of the characters.

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:26 pm

I find it amusing how I like one version of a character, but not their alter-ego.

Charming is awesome, but I really dislike David (as a person, not a character).
Red is cool, but Ruby isn't very interesting.
Mary is sweet and an excellent character, but Snow seems too different and unpredictable compared to her.

But then, I love Gold/Rumple, Grumpy/Leroy, and Jiminy/Archie.
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Elfie Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:28 pm

I like both Mary and Snow. I agree with the other ones. The dwarves are just great, I love seeing them.
Elfie
Elfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:30 pm

Agreed, Nayaby. Everything you just said.

I kind of hope the best parts of each person win out at the end...

If this show ends like LOST, I'll kill something. I actually didn't have a problem with the ending of LOST for what it was on its own (sucker for happy endings), it was just totally unsuited to the WHOLE FREAKIN' REST OF THE SERIES.
Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:40 pm

I never watched Lost, and I have no intention to. I don't need another ten thousand season show to catch up with! I did have a few gripes with the end of Battlestar Galactica though.

Last edited by Nayaby on Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:47 pm

Don't bother with Lost. Errrgh.

Battlestar Galactica I intend to watch..someday. I've heard it's excellent, but it would be a big undertaking for me. I can only do short shows right now...
Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:50 pm

I thought you'd seen it! You didn't open that spoiler tag, did you? DON'T OPEN IT!!!!

DELETE DELETE DELETE! MISSION ABORT!
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:54 pm

*sigh* I already knew what happens in general. I know too many geeks, and I get spoiled just terribly on these things. No worries. I'm a kind of person who doesn't care much about spoilage anymore...

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:58 pm

Ah, okay. But don't you ever feel horrible when you're reading a book and you think, "I'm going to open to a random page near the end, just for fun, just for a split second. I doubt I'll spoil anything."

And then you do that, and you spoil a big plot twist and you wish for brain bleach?

I've done that too many times.....
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:02 am

Never with books. Never ever. I never skip in an actual story, you see, it's always in some other, often social situation, that I get spoiled.

I amend that statement. Books I think I'm not going to like, I often check the last page to see if it will be worth getting to the end.
Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:08 am

I don't mean to do it... it's a horrible habit to have. Darn lack of self-control!
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Must. Watch. Movie. O_O
It sounds so completely idiotic, which is why I want to see it.
Kind of like Cowboys and Aliens, but even stupider.
I hope it spawns an entire franchise!
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Zip Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:26 am

Dwight Eisenhower: Dragon Rider
James K. Polk: Beast Tamer
Jimmy Carter: Peanut Farmer

...Ahh, what else?
Zip
Zip
Zhe Moron

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:32 am

Mahatma Gandhi: Pacifistic Werewolf
Augustus Caesar: First Clone President
Salah ad-Din: Ninja Sultan

Very Happy
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:54 pm

BREAAAKING NEEEEWWWWS

And I quote from the Legend of Korra facebook page

"CONGRATULATIONS KORRA NATION!!! We gained 100,000 Likes and Shares in record time and will be rewarding fans by unlocking the first TWO episodes on KorraNation.com this Saturday, March 24th, weeks before airing on Nick."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next