Spiced toast, and other stories
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome)

+7
Aequus
Picasso
MozytheHealer
Zip
Elfie
Nayaby
Areada
11 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome) - Page 7 Empty Re: Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome)

Post by Nayaby Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:34 pm

Fair enough point Razz
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome) - Page 7 Empty Re: Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome)

Post by Nayaby Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:03 pm

My favourite line:

Watson: "We should call the police."
Holmes: "Yes." *bang bang bang bang bang* "On their way."
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:38 pm

You want to know the best part of all this? The thing I never get tired of telling people?

IN THE HOBBIT MOVIES

THE GUY WHO PLAYS WATSON IS PLAYING BILBO

AND THE GUY WHO PLAYS SHERLOCK IS GOING TO BE SMAUG

Yes. You may now blink in shock and awe, and cry words of celebration to the heavens, and whichever deity you please because sometimes, the world is just THAT AMAZING.

Areada
Areada
Admin

https://spicedtoaststories.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Haha, neat! I heard about Bilbo. Not about Smaug though. Sherlock's voice as the voice of a dragon... hmm... I'll have to wait for the movie before I decide what I think about that. Sherlock isn't exactly... dragony.
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:07 am

Actors tend to do things to make themselves sound different, depending on the role. I bet with his acting powers and some fantastic special audio effect, he is going to sound FREAKINGAMAZING

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:34 am

I KNEW IT! The client in The Hounds of Baskerville is the same actor who plays Alonso in Doctor Who!

Allons-y Alonso!

Allons-y will always trump Geronimo...

ALLONS-Y!
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:48 am

THE CLIENT IN HOUNDS OF THE BASKERVILLE IS ALSO THE WEREWOLF IN THE UK BEING HUMAN

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:46 pm

Nice ending to the season! I re-watched the ending several times to figure out how it happened.

Spoiler:
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:24 am

It occurs to me just how much we take the Internet for granted. On a whim, I felt like watching a fun anime movie. I decided to watch Princess Mononoke, and five minutes later I'm doing just that. Heh.

Wolves are awesome.
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:54 pm

I finally found the UK version of Being Human!

The concept of ghosts is quite a bit different from the US version. In the US version, Annie's counterpart Sally has a very difficult time picking up things, and most of the first season is spent with her learning how to touch and move objects. She shatters a bunch of coffee mugs by accident. Also, how does a ghost smoke cigarettes?

I'm really enjoying it though. Not as "action-y" as the US version, which is probably a good thing.
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:41 pm

!!!!!

YAAAAY!

I really like how they establish characters right at the beginning in the UK version. Like you said, the US ghost counterpart has to go through a lot of stuff to be functional, but in the UK version the ghost has gotten through a lot of the basic things so they can focus on MORE IMPORTANT AND HUMANLY RELEVANT THINGS.

I actually found the title 'Being Human' to be really relevant in the UK show.

Yes, less action (still plenty of gore). More heartwrenching character interactions and adorable friendships of adorableness. And lots of heartwrenching. Lots and lots and lots. Lots and lots. I still can't work up the courage to watch the last few episodes of the third season because I know what has to happen BUT IT'S SO SAD.

*sniff*

You know it's a good show when, I dunno, I start talking like this. xD

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:34 pm

I know what you mean, I've had the ending spoiled too :/

As much as I like the US version, I'm enjoying the UK version much more! What I didn't like about the US version was that Aidan, Sally, and Josh were all off doing their own thing, and sometimes didn't interact with each other very much at all. There were times when they were way too unaware of each other's problems too. The UK version is much better about unifying each of their stories. Annie, George, and Mitchel have their own sub-plots, but they all interact with each other very well.

Spoiler:
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:59 pm

I found that the point of the UK Being Human seemed to be ultimately not for the characters to 'adjust' to the real world, but to have relationships with each other that were just as important and real as any relationship that 'normal people' have. That they could live life in the best way they could manage. It didn't have to be a 'normal' life for it to count just as much as anything ever could. Which I thought was a really good message.

Annie, George, and Mitchell have a really beautiful friendship chemistry. I love watching them interact and it is very evident in every way that they love each other very much, and it's just very sweet that they can manage to have that even though their lives are SERIOUSLY MESSED UP A LOT OF THE TIME.

And wow, Mitchell is basically as good as a vampire character can get. He's brilliant, really. There isn't any stupid stuff about him, they tell it like it is. And I like that, because they tell the good stuff and the bad the same amount and there's realistic conflict and he just...well they write him really well. I was really impressed with what they did with him. I'm not really super into vampires as a character idea, (I do like Buffy but I recognize that there are a lot of weird, inconsistent, (and silly) vampire ideas there), but I do like Mitchell. Because he's not just a vampire, he's a person too.

I must stop analyzing this and get back to schoolwork... *sigh*

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:03 am

I must know. Do we ever find out what Annie whispered to Owen? Just a yes or no. I don't want to know what she said if I'll find out later. Or is it one of those "so mysterious that the writers don't even know what she said" sort of deals?
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:13 am

INCONSISTANCIES!

In one scene, Mitchell is sitting at a coffee shop. There are a bunch of framed paintings in the background. His reflection appears in the picture frames!

Totally destroyed my willful suspension of disbelief. Bah humbug!

(Not really, but I do like to keep an eye out for inconsistencies xP)
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:39 am

Inconsistencies are fun. I like them because I actually like to remember about the fact that it's all a fiction, because then I appreciate the actors and crewmembers that much more.
Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm so depressed.

I watched the end of Season 3 (yeah, within about a week... I'm ridiculous)

The storytelling is so good. Really amazing.

Oh no... I'm so depressed.

You need to watch it and be depressed with me Sad
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:41 pm

I'm already so depressed I don't think I have the heart to. You don't know how I'm dreading those last few episodes. Because I know what happens. Because I know what has to happen. Because I know that the only way things can ever be okay is by what is going to happen.

*sob*

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:00 pm

The storytelling is amazing though! It's truly a "you reap what you sow" tale. Besides, I need someone to rant about it to, and I don't want to spoil the details.

And it gives a new take on the title "Being Human." The people involved are supernatural, sure, but the events that transpire are so human. The show should win whatever the TV equivalent of an Oscar is.

I'm really miffed about the off screen events between seasons 3 and 4... gahhh. How dare they...
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:38 pm

I would just like to say.

After years

and pain

and a significant amount of bravery

I have managed to finish watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer

And it was a GLORIOUS story

Even though there were stupid parts that I skipped through

and my two favorite couples had one of them die at the end

but it's okay because one of them comes back to life in Angel

so they can live happily and dysfunctionally ever after in my head

*sniff*

I don't know what to do with my life now. I have conquered the vampires, I must turn my attentions to overcoming other bad things. Don't worry, finally finishing Being Human is totally on my list, only I need some more lighthearted things before I dive into that...um...end of epic sadness where I will need ten thousand million tissues and a lot and a lot of chocolate and tea.

I was thinking of just watching most of season 3 over again but skipping the parts that don't involve just Mitchell, Annie, and George. Just to get up to speed on the character relationships SO I CAN HAVE MY HEART BROKEN EVEN MORE EFFECTIVELY.

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:37 am

The first episode of the next season is also really sad :/ But it's also really intense and a great way to deal with the casting change. I liked it.

The new vampire, Hal, is amazing by the way. Polar opposite to Mitchell personality-wise. Hal is an OCD awkward vampire. Brilliant character!

And if it's any consolation, we know a reasonable amount about the afterlife in Being Human. It kind of lessens the sadness, a little bit at least.

Of course, Mitchell's probably going to be purgatory for a while...

Spoiler:
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:51 am

Spoiler:
Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Ahaha, one of my favourite quotes.

"Do vampires die if you blow them up?"
"Most things die when you blow them up."
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Draco Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:00 pm

Nayaby wrote:Ahaha, one of my favourite quotes.

"Do vampires die if you blow them up?"
"Most things die when you blow them up."

This is oftentimes referred to as the "chunky salsa rule".

Anything that reduces something's head to the consistency of chunky salsa is fatal, regardless of other circumstances.
Draco
Draco
Overlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:09 pm

This is true. In fact, devastating head injuries are a leading cause of undead casualties. Decapitation is a favorite, of course. Occasionally you get the goopy decapitated head-mush zombie, but overall, heads will do them in. The only things that are likely to do okay without a head are enchanted beings (puppets, etc), and even then I think it is only because decapitation lends itself to the re-patching-on of the head. If the head is 'chunky salsad' those enchanted beings don't really have a chance. So the rule still stands.

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next